Saturday, November 19, 2011

Photography Monitor Calibration

Just more notes from a webinar I attended for my photography:  They are sloppy, but make sense to me. :)

  • STEPS TO MAKE YOUR CALIBRATION BE BEST POSSIBLE
  1. Let monitor warm for 30 mins to 1 hour, just turn off screen saver if need be
  2. Consider Ambient Room light, don't sit in a dark room or too bright of a room.  Need to be in a somewhat lit room.  A room comfortable to read a book in, light wise.
  3. View prints in correct light, will talk about later.

  • SOLUTIONS FOR CALIBRATION
  1. Linering the monitor: brightness, contrast, gama
  2. Characterizing the monitor:

  • d50 for white point
  • gama 2.2
  • luminance value_if working in a bright room 120, moderate room 100, dim room 80

  • sets background of his desktop to black
  • choose advanced mode
  • d50 or d55, but he likes d50
  • luminance
  • research the flare options on my calibrator...use it, since I do not have a hood
  • contact lab for free calibration prints, lab will send 2 copies of each....ones they correct, some I did.  They should match!  Then open the images again in photoshop and compare the image on the monitor and the print in hand.  They should match!  Take into consideration of type of light and brightness.  If calibrated at 5000k lighting condition, can get a light box or open window light crack blinds and let a some sun light to come in.  Not direct sunlight.  Should be close to monitor. contact customer service for prints. do 5 test prints, be selective good exposure and white balance. do typical locations etc
  • make sure that the screen is always at same tilt when editing
  • print to dark? monitor is too bright
  • edit color setting in photoshp
  • go to working spaces, rgb

3 comments:

  1. Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think so yet, but that would be neat if I could figure it out! :) Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The information presented in this post is quite effective as it has delivered a real sense of information about monitor calibration which are useful in lab.

    ReplyDelete