Thursday, April 29, 2010

Sun Rays...










So, as far as I can tell lens flare/sun rays in your photograph is pretty trendy these days. Plus, I love it! I thought I got this information from Pioneer Woman Photography Blog at www.thepioneerwoman.com/photography/category/basic-photography/composition/ . However, when I went back to reference it...I couldn't find it. Basically, if I can remember what I read today...to catch sun rays you need to shoot with a higher f/stop and position your subject between the sun and you. I did this on these shots. There is one shot that really shows the rays, which is neat. The others were a little surprise for me. When I looked at them in photoshop, there were little sunbursts on the glass, super pretty. You can see them if you click on the images to make them bigger. Those particular shots I did not have the subject directly between me and the sun. I was worried about my image sensor. Somewhere on the net I have read that pointing your image sensor at the sun is bad, just as it is for your eyes. So, I figured I would only take a couple right towards the sun. Also, I did this near dusk, so the sun was low in the sky and not as intense. I shot these with my trusty 50 mm lens, f/22, using aperture priority, since I had the bright sun in my view finder and didn't want to expose my eyes to the sun while I metered.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jamie; Might it have been "sunflare for beginners" by Miz Booshay?
    I don't know if I can put the link in this comment section...
    http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2009/06/sun-flare-for-beginners/
    that seems to have worked.
    I'm going to give this a try when the rain stops.
    Could you indulge my laziness and explain the VR thing on the Nikon lens, please. Is it a good thing - and should it be ON?
    Thanks;
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I looked a little on the VR lenses and it was really boring. LOL! I can see why you weren't really into looking for an answer. I did find a site that made it sound like it wasn't anything that great. Here is the link http://www.bythom.com/18200lens.htm He said it wouldn't help in low light situations and to just crank up the ISO to help with camera shake. Or to use a tripod if shooting less than 1/30th sec. My zoom lens does have it, and my 50mm that I use most does not. Hope this helps a little...

    However, I really didn't do too much research on it, due to the bore factor. I think it would be good to go to your local camera shop and ask one of the photographers how important it really is. Are you seeing a huge price difference for lenses with VR?

    Have a good rest of your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking the time Jamie, I do appreciate it.
    The kit lens has the Vibration Reduction (I did some research, finally) I haven't been looking for a new lens, so don't know about the pricing.
    My manual says to have it ON except when using a tripod. I've had it OFF all along, maybe I'll just leave it off.
    Love your photos of the day!
    Rosi

    ReplyDelete