Friday, June 24, 2011

2nd Saturday ArtHop - June 2011

Out again on a beautiful warm night with my husband, Jesse.  We decided to start off his birthday weekend by going to the 2nd Saturday Arthop of Redding, CA.  We began our evening going to Eddy's Gastro Pub located at 2151 Market Street downtown Redding, CA.  Eddy's Gastro Pub was kind enough to host the very talented artist David Ballard.  Mr. Ballard has always been involved with art and it is very evident through his beautiful paintings.  Jackson Pollick is a huge inspiration to him, he even studies Jackson Pollick on YouTube for different techniques.  Typically David paints his canvas and allows each layer to dry before adding another dimension to his work.  He also uses a wooden spoon and squirt bottles on a horizontal surface while listening to music to create his works.





This 2nd Saturday ArtHop was a very special one, music was featured along with art...I think this is a GREAT idea!  It was so fun and refreshing to see even more culture in downtown Redding! I love looking at all the art on display while listening to all the different types of music out there.  My husband and I were lucky enough to get to listen to Davy and Dale, friends of Jonathan Wangsard of Shingletown, CA.  They were playing blue grass music that was upbeat and fun to listen to, not to mention hard not to stop from tapping my feet to the beat.  I missed getting to see Jonathan Wangsard play, but I did find this information about him online.




Next on my journey downtown was Maratime Seafood and Grill located at 1600 California Street of Redding, CA.  The restaurant always hosts artists for the 2nd Saturday ArtHops and this was the first time I had visited them for the ArtHop.  Troy Hawkins was the featured artist and I was so very impressed by his art and jewelry.  Especially his jewelry!  Anyhow, Troy Hawkins specializes in acrylic mixed media with mica and gold flakes.  I overheard him speaking with a person admiring his work and he mentioned that he uses a CO2 compressor to aid in his creative vision.  Both of his parents were artists, one was a sculptor and the other a painter, and his sister is a photographer...sounds like a very creative family.  Troy's passion is Fine Art Jewelry, which I thought was stunning.  His pieces tell a story and each detail is thought out carefully from the hand bent wire to the little trinkets he has collected over the years used to adorn his pieces.  In addition, the mannequins he used to display his work were art themselves.  He had taken antique Encyclopedia Britannica's and decoupaged the paper onto the mannequins. 



Lastly I stopped by Vintner's Cellar Custome Winery located at 1700 California Street of Redding, CA.  They were hosting a very talented young man by the name of Chris Molitor.  Be sure to click his link to listen to some of his music.  I love his sound and creative lyrics, I had checked him out before I left for the 2nd Saturady ArtHop of Redding, CA and fell in love with his sound.  So, I was totally stoked to get to hear him live and purchase his cd for $5, what a deal!  Chris moved to Redding, CA 2-3 months ago from Michigan.  He moved to Redding to be closer to his friends and enjoy our warm summers.   Molitor began playing his guitar in college as a hobby and soon found that even strangers were stopping him on the street asking if he was a musician...must of been a sign!  Currently he is trying to get more involved with the Redding music community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment