Thursday, March 17, 2011

2nd Saturday ArtHop of Redding, Ca - March 12th, 2011

This ArtHop was full of so many talented artists of all different ages! That is always exciting to see,  art does not discriminate when it comes to age.  There was such a range of artists, from budding to mature.

 To begin, I was drawn in by the most beautiful photographic images by the ever so gifted Stephanie Luke.  The North Valley Art League located at 42 Quartz Hill Dr of Redding, Ca was kind enough to be her host for the evening.  Stephanie went digital around five years ago and before that she was in a dark room developing her amazing photographs.  She is a self taught artist and there is no doubt in my mind that she has a great understanding of telling a story through a photograph in the most pleasing way possible to the eye.  Stephanie is inspired by life around her, and if she notices something that strikes her interest...she captures it.  I was listening to her and a man who was admiring her artwork speaking, she said, "Any time I take a picture, I don't worry since it (the picture) is for myself.  And if somebody buys it...it is a bonus."  I couldn't agree more, I think this is a great way to create... for yourself.




I LOVED her "Nothing But Blue Skies" photograph!  It just made me happy looking at it, and jealous at the same time...why can't I think of something so creative! :)


Lady with Glasses - Pamela - Not For Sale


It Can't Happen Here - $150


Another Dry Year _ $150


Nothing But Blue Skies - $150


Rainy Day at Sunnyside Beach - $175





Next on my list was to head on over to Carnegie's located at 1600 Oregon St. Redding, CA.  Their featured artist was the young and beautiful Makaylah Fazzari displaying mixed media. 


Keep your eyes for that name in the graphic world one day, what a talent.  I asked Makaylah what inspired her, she will take inspiration from anything from magazines to bird skulls. Currently Makaylah is working on her AP portfolio while deciding on which Art School would be the best fit for her.  She has already received the Merit Scholarship for The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, which is quite impressive.  I asked her if she has sold any of her work yet, and she told me that she does hoard her work a bit...and I can not blame her for not wanting to let go of her art.  I was very impressed with Makaylah's talents, she had pencil drawings, acrylics, watercolors, and pen pieces.  My personal favorite of her works was called "Burned", which was a pen and watercolor piece that was really interesting. 

Burned - Pen and Watercolor


Disaster Button - Acrylic


I am sorry...I forgot to jot down the title





Last on my list for the night was the mixed media show of Foothill High School of Redding, Ca.  The kind people over at Pacific West Graphics located at 1455 South St. of Redding, Ca were the hosts.  The art teacher for the last five years, Kris Dickey was present and was a pleasure to speak with.  There was a vast array of art displayed by some of the local youth of the Redding area.  My favorites were "Child's Stare" by  Justin Sparkman and Samantha Seaman's "Alive with the Glory of Love".

Alive with the Glory of Love - Ink - Samantha Seaman


Child's Stare - Pencil - Justin Sparkman


Prosper - Chalk Pastel -Natalie Lenci


Star - Acrylic- Alyssa Scherado


Aislinn - Mixed Media -Isabella Greenleaf


Julius Caesar - Charcoal -Jessa Garrett


Normally I like to take some extra shots from the night, but I have to admit that I was in a hurry to go check out the Roller Derby.  Which was a blast, nothing like girls on skates who can seriously take a hit.  It is amazing to watch the skills that these talented ladies have.  Plus, we have to cheer for our favorite player..."Canna Bull".

1 comment:

  1. You have done a great job on this article. It’s very readable and highly intelligent. You have even managed to make it understandable and easy to read. You have some real writing talent. Thank you.
    West Michigan vinyl and graphics

    ReplyDelete